If being cooped up in the house all Winter followed by the COVID-19 quarantine has you and your family climbing the walls, you aren’t alone. With more temperate weather finally here, it’s important to get some fresh air, expend some energy, and of course, stay safe while doing it.
It may be a while before some of the normal Spring and Summer activities are safe and reopened for the public to take advantage of, but you are only limited by your imagination. Here are some fun, simple, and safe activities that you and your family can do – some even in your own backyard!
- Go for a hike. Choose a spot that isn’t very crowded and can allow you and your family some space to roam. You can enjoy some fun activities like geocaching (A gigantic outdoor treasure hunt with millions of prize-filled containers hidden around the world), taking pictures, play “I Spy”, and just enjoying being out in nature. Bring the family dog along to make sure they also get some exercise.
- Go camping in your backyard. Enjoy some good old-fashioned camping right in your own backyard. Grill your dinner and roast your marshmallows over a campfire, sleep outside under the stars in your tent, and enjoy everything that camping offers while still being able to use your indoor plumbing!
- Play some childhood games. What’s better than reliving your childhood by playing some of your favorite games. Hide and seek, a scavenger hunt, and sidewalk/driveway chalk are great ways to get the family outside and have a little fun!
- Plant a family garden. Not only will you save money on produce this Summer but it’s a great activity to get the family together and involved in a project, especially if you need to till some soil to make space or build a raised garden bed first. Give each person a section to plant their own veggies or assign each person certain veggies to plant. Either way it’s a great activity to get some fresh air and do something together. PLUS, you’ll have a plethora of amazing food at harvest!
- Go for a scenic drive. If you live in New England, there are some amazing scenic drives that you can take as a family and see some really cool landscapes. We love #7 on this list – who doesn’t love a good covered bridge!
- Go for a bike ride. Have your bikes just been gathering dust and losing tire pressure while sitting in the garage or shed for months? Dust them off, pump up the tires, and go for a ride either in your own neighborhood or on a local bike trail.
- Have a picnic. Skip the outdoor patio furniture and the grill and spread out a blanket in the grass and enjoy some sandwiches, chips, fruit, and salads on your lawn. Throw in a board game and you’ll enjoy a few hours outside in the sun and fresh air.
While it can be tempting to try to jump back into the old routines we once had, it’s going to take a while before going to beaches, amusement parks, and concerts are the norm again. Why not take advantage of everything the great outdoors has to offer your family while still being safe. You might actually find you enjoy them a lot more!
Branch Manager – Torrington