You don’t need a large budget or lengthy timeline to give your home a noticeable boost. Whether you’re looking for functional fixes, to enhance the visual appeal or just a small refresh—there are a number of ways to update your home cheaply and easily.
On television, home improvement projects go from start to finish in 60 minutes or less. Realistic? Of course not, but you don’t need to spend a lot of time to make some significant changes to your home. Here are some ideas for quick projects that can be done in a weekend that deliver big results.
- Paint an accent wall – don’t want to paint the whole room but want to add a pop of color, paint just one wall to make it a focal point.
- Switch out fixtures – you’d be surprised at how much cleaner and more modern your kitchen can look just by changing out the sink fixture.
- Clean your dryer ducts – this won’t change your home’s appearance, but it can make your dryer work much better and reduce your risk of a vent fire.
- Clean your patios, deck, and walkways – you’d be surprised how dirty these areas become over time. Give them a quick scrub or power washing to make them pop.
- Update your hardware – replacing dated kitchen and bathroom cabinet handles and updating your doorknobs can add a quick refresh to your home that’s simple and easy. Often you can find amazing vintage or slightly used ones at flea markets, tag sales & thrift shops!
- Power wash your home’s exterior – mildew can accumulate over time on your home’s exterior, especially on the Northern side of the home. If you are able to easily access all sides of your home safely, you may be able to tackle power washing it yourself.
- Switch your plate covers – do your light switch and electrical covers look old, dirty, and damaged? You can swap them out with new ones inexpensively and they are quick and easy to do yourself.
- Shampoo your rugs – the best time to tackle cleaning your rugs and carpet is when you can open all the windows in the home. If you don’t have a carpet cleaner, you can rent one inexpensively and get all your carpet cleaned in a weekend. Not only will they smell great, but they’ll look great too!
- Replace the screens in your windows – unless they have rips or tears in them, you might not pay much attention to your window screens. However, they can fade and get dirty over time. This simple project can be done in a weekend or by doing a few rooms at a time.
- Install a new mailbox – if the plow truck did a number on your mailbox or it just isn’t your style anymore, now is the time to install a new one. Get creative – and decorate your mailbox to match your home style!
We love a good DIY project that is simple and budget-friendly yet makes a big impact on your home. Summer is the best time to tackle some of those small projects, especially if you can get the whole family involved. It also will greatly improve your “sell appeal” if you are considering putting your home on the market! Curious if now is the right time to refinance your home or perhaps you are in the market for a new home – give us a call, we can help.
Vice President, Senior Mortgage Lender
NMLS MLO ID: 532621